Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dropping Data Connect String

I've created a data source connection using the sa login and password with
the save password option. Running the stored procedure returns a good result
set. Ok, I'm feeling pretty good at this point . But after clicking on the
Preview tab, I receive the following message: "A connection cannot be made
to the database. Set and test the connection string. Login failed for
DIM\tj."
Of course testing the connection works fine, but why is trying to
authenticate using my credentials when it should be use the connect string?
I'm running RS SP1 against a SQL 2000 db.
--
Any and all contributions are greatly appreciated ...
Regards TJIt couldn't be something inside the stored procedure, could it? Can you do a
straight select?
--
Brian Welcker
Group Program Manager
SQL Server Reporting Services
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"TJ" <nospam@.nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:Oi3Y$gzpEHA.556@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I've created a data source connection using the sa login and password with
> the save password option. Running the stored procedure returns a good
> result
> set. Ok, I'm feeling pretty good at this point . But after clicking on the
> Preview tab, I receive the following message: "A connection cannot be made
> to the database. Set and test the connection string. Login failed for
> DIM\tj."
> Of course testing the connection works fine, but why is trying to
> authenticate using my credentials when it should be use the connect
> string?
> I'm running RS SP1 against a SQL 2000 db.
> --
> Any and all contributions are greatly appreciated ...
> Regards TJ
>|||If it is, I'm not seeing any errors when I execute the stored procedure on
the Data Tab. Is there an error log for the Data Tab?
"Brian Welcker [MSFT]" <bwelcker@.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:ek08dp7pEHA.592@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> It couldn't be something inside the stored procedure, could it? Can you do
a
> straight select?
> --
> Brian Welcker
> Group Program Manager
> SQL Server Reporting Services
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
> "TJ" <nospam@.nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:Oi3Y$gzpEHA.556@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > I've created a data source connection using the sa login and password
with
> > the save password option. Running the stored procedure returns a good
> > result
> > set. Ok, I'm feeling pretty good at this point . But after clicking on
the
> > Preview tab, I receive the following message: "A connection cannot be
made
> > to the database. Set and test the connection string. Login failed for
> > DIM\tj."
> >
> > Of course testing the connection works fine, but why is trying to
> > authenticate using my credentials when it should be use the connect
> > string?
> >
> > I'm running RS SP1 against a SQL 2000 db.
> > --
> > Any and all contributions are greatly appreciated ...
> > Regards TJ
> >
> >
>|||I am running into the exact same issue... Any resolution to this yet?
"TJ" wrote:
> If it is, I'm not seeing any errors when I execute the stored procedure on
> the Data Tab. Is there an error log for the Data Tab?
> "Brian Welcker [MSFT]" <bwelcker@.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:ek08dp7pEHA.592@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > It couldn't be something inside the stored procedure, could it? Can you do
> a
> > straight select?
> >
> > --
> > Brian Welcker
> > Group Program Manager
> > SQL Server Reporting Services
> >
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
> >
> > "TJ" <nospam@.nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > news:Oi3Y$gzpEHA.556@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > I've created a data source connection using the sa login and password
> with
> > > the save password option. Running the stored procedure returns a good
> > > result
> > > set. Ok, I'm feeling pretty good at this point . But after clicking on
> the
> > > Preview tab, I receive the following message: "A connection cannot be
> made
> > > to the database. Set and test the connection string. Login failed for
> > > DIM\tj."
> > >
> > > Of course testing the connection works fine, but why is trying to
> > > authenticate using my credentials when it should be use the connect
> > > string?
> > >
> > > I'm running RS SP1 against a SQL 2000 db.
> > > --
> > > Any and all contributions are greatly appreciated ...
> > > Regards TJ
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>|||Here are a couple of things you might try:
a) I was calling a stored procedure from within a stored procedure using the
exec command; The report data connection account didn't have permissions for
the stored procedure inside the main stored procedure. I found the
permissions issue by running the main stored procedure in Query Analyzer,
but you need to open your Query Analyzer connection using the same data
connection information being used in your report.
b) You can hard code the User Id and password setting in the Connection
String on the Data Source Tab for the report.
Good Luck
TJ
"StanDaMon" <StanDaMon@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:102E7428-08C9-467E-8DC6-B69A4E8D094E@.microsoft.com...
> I am running into the exact same issue... Any resolution to this yet?
> "TJ" wrote:
> > If it is, I'm not seeing any errors when I execute the stored procedure
on
> > the Data Tab. Is there an error log for the Data Tab?
> >
> > "Brian Welcker [MSFT]" <bwelcker@.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:ek08dp7pEHA.592@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > > It couldn't be something inside the stored procedure, could it? Can
you do
> > a
> > > straight select?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Brian Welcker
> > > Group Program Manager
> > > SQL Server Reporting Services
> > >
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> > rights.
> > >
> > > "TJ" <nospam@.nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > > news:Oi3Y$gzpEHA.556@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > I've created a data source connection using the sa login and
password
> > with
> > > > the save password option. Running the stored procedure returns a
good
> > > > result
> > > > set. Ok, I'm feeling pretty good at this point . But after clicking
on
> > the
> > > > Preview tab, I receive the following message: "A connection cannot
be
> > made
> > > > to the database. Set and test the connection string. Login failed
for
> > > > DIM\tj."
> > > >
> > > > Of course testing the connection works fine, but why is trying to
> > > > authenticate using my credentials when it should be use the connect
> > > > string?
> > > >
> > > > I'm running RS SP1 against a SQL 2000 db.
> > > > --
> > > > Any and all contributions are greatly appreciated ...
> > > > Regards TJ
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >

No comments:

Post a Comment